Make sure that nothing stands between you and your holiday in paradise by following this simple checklist before leaving from South Africa.
- Passport. Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months before travelling. South African passport holders fortunately don’t need a visa to enter Mozambique, while non-SA passport holders may get their visas at any of the border gates.
- Take anti-Malaria tabs as a precaution (your GP will be able to give you a script for this). Check with your medical aid to make sure that you are covered while on holiday.
- Border visas are issued for purposes of tourism and are valid for 30 days. At the border, you will need to fill in a DA341 form and declare any camping equipment, fridges, fishing gear, etc. You will have to pay a levy on your passport as well as a road tax levy.
- You need your vehicle registration papers (including your trailer’s) as well as a special compulsory third party insurance for both your car and trailer, as well as a letter from your insurance company as proof of insurance.
- Get your black and white ZA sticker ahead of time and make sure you pack two red warning triangles.
- If travelling with kids under 18, make sure that you bring their unabridged birth certificates in addition to their passport.
Having incomplete or missing documentation might mean getting turned away at the border and ruining your holiday so make sure you have everything you need before leaving for Mozambique!