We know that the Moz is paradise on earth when it comes to beaches, the laid-back lifestyle and its mouth-watering Portuguese inspired cuisine. As a holiday destination, it pretty much has it all and more. Here are some interesting things about Moz that you probably didn’t know:
- Mozambique is the only one-word country to feature all 5 vowels! A pretty cool fact to remember on pub quiz nights!
- Also, spelled out in Scrabble tiles, Mozambique scores higher than any one-word country.
- Some of the scenes from the Leonardo DiCaprio film “Blood Diamond” was shot in Maputo.
- Since 2001, Mozambique’s annual average GDP growth has been among the world’s highest.
- Half the people in Mozambique are under 17.
- Mozambique is the only country in the Commonwealth never to have been part of the British Empire.
- The country’s main exports include aluminium, prawns, cotton, sugar, timber, citrus fruits and electricity.
- Traveling in Mozambique is quite easy, there are over 30,400 km of roadways, of which just over 6 000 km are paved, much of the remaining 24 000km is passable by 4×4, however extra special care should be taken during the rainy season.